Wednesday 22 February 2012

Miserere mei, Deus

Have mercy upon me, O God, after thy great goodness :
according to the multitude of thy mercies do away mine offences.
Wash me throughly from my wickedness :
and cleanse me from my sin.
For I acknowledge my faults :
and my sin is ever before me.
Against thee only have I sinned, and done this evil in thy sight :
that thou mightest be justified in thy saying, and clear when thou art judged.
Behold, I was shapen in wickedness :
and in sin hath my mother conceived me.
But lo, thou requirest truth in the inward parts:
and shalt make me to understand wisdom secretly.
Thou shalt purge me with hyssop, and I shall be clean :
thou shalt wash me, and I shall be whiter than snow.
Thou shalt make me hear of joy and gladness :
that the bones which thou hast broken may rejoice.
Turn thy face from my sins :
and put out all my misdeeds.
Make me a clean heart, O God :
and renew a right spirit within me.
Cast me not away from thy presence :
and take not thy holy Spirit from me.
O give me the comfort of thy help again :
and stablish me with thy free Spirit.
Then shall I teach thy ways unto the wicked :
and sinners shall be converted unto thee.
Deliver me from blood-guiltiness, O God,
thou that art the God of my health :
and my tongue shall sing of thy righteousness.
Thou shalt open my lips, O Lord :
and my mouth shall shew thy praise.
For thou desirest no sacrifice, else would I give it thee :
but thou delightest not in burnt-offerings.
The sacrifice of God is a troubled spirit :
a broken and contrite heart, O God, shalt thou not despise.
O be favourable and gracious unto Sion :
build thou the walls of Jerusalem.
Then shalt thou be pleased with the sacrifice of righteousness,
with the burnt-offerings and oblations :
then shall they offer young bullocks upon thine altar.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Anonymous comments will not be published