Wednesday 30 September 2009

St Jerome














A Prayer of St Jerome for Christ's Mercy

O Lord, show your mercy to me and gladden my heart.
I am like the man on the way to Jericho
who was overtaken by robbers, wounded and left for dead.
O Good Samaritan, come to my aid.
I am like the sheep that went astray.
O Good Shepherd, seek me out and bring me home
in accord with your will.
Let me dwell in your house all the days of my life
and praise you for ever and ever with those who are there.



I think somehow St Jerome would approve of this:

“……………there is immense evidential force in the fact that, from the earliest days and throughout the history of the Church, the Christian gospel has been preached to the world and has, for innumerable men and women, both provided an understanding of reality and has renewed and inspired their wills for authentic human living……..”
“…What I have tried to do is to show that the widespread modern attempt to deny or bypass the historicity of the picture of Christ that the Gospels provide or to reduce their status to that of edifying myths rests on no sure rational foundation. It is the outcome either of an antecedent bias against the supernatural or of a view of the Christian religion which is not that of the New Testament and which, by denying that Christ has come in the flesh, would have been recognised by St John as bearing the marks of the deceiver and the antichrist…”

E.L. Mascall: “Theology and the Gospel of Christ”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Anonymous comments will not be published