Sunday 24 February 2013

Pope Benedict: 'The primacy of prayer...'


In his last Sunday Angelus,  Pope Benedict, after speaking of today's Gospel of the Transfiguration, went on to say:
"...We can draw a very important lesson from meditating on this passage of the Gospel. First, the primacy of prayer, without which all the work of the apostolate and of charity is reduced to activism. In Lent we learn to give proper time to prayer, both personal and communal, which gives breath to our spiritual life. In addition, to pray is not to isolate oneself from the world and its contradictions, as Peter wanted on Tabor, instead prayer leads us back to the path, to action. "The Christian life - I wrote in my Message for Lent - consists in continuously scaling the mountain to meet God and then coming back down, bearing the love and strength drawn from him, so as to serve our brothers and sisters with God’s own love ."
Dear brothers and sisters, I feel that this Word of God is particularly directed at me, at this point in my life. The Lord is calling me to "climb the mountain", to devote myself even more to prayer and meditation. But this does not mean abandoning the Church, indeed, if God is asking me to do this it is so that I can continue to serve the Church with the same dedication and the same love with which I have done thus far, but in a way that is better suited to my age and my strength. Let us invoke the intercession of the Virgin Mary: may she always help us all to follow the Lord Jesus in prayer and works of charity."
The full text is here 

In the last few days of his pontificate we are being taught something vital here, by word and example, by a pope who will be remembered as one of the great teachers of the faith, one whose words will continue to inspire us. 
There is a widespread feeling that these are highly significant days for all Christians.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Anonymous comments will not be published