Saturday 11 January 2014

From banality to banality advancing

“Long my imprisoned spirit lay” wrote Charles Wesley in a famous hymn about his religious conversion. “I woke, the dungeon flamed with light; my chains fell off, my heart was free, 
I rose, went forth, and followed thee.” He then goes on “No condemnation now I dread”. It was not, of course, a hymn about coming out of the closet, but about discovering and being able to speak the truth about oneself - and how liberating such truth-telling can be.Nonetheless, these experiences are remarkably similar. “I am what I am and what I am needs no excuses” wrote Gloria Gaynor in a rather different sort of anthem. And St John put it even more pithily: “The truth will set you free.”
- Canon Giles Fraser speaking on yesterday's BBC Radio 4 'Thought for the Day ' -

Most would say that Charles Wesley,  far from intending to speak the truth about himself, was rejoicing in the Christian's new-found faith in Christ, his Saviour, who alone takes our sins away: 'Jesus, and all in Him, is mine' ....
I can't speak for Gloria Gaynor.

But .... thanks anyway for enlivening (pithily, but in a really bad way) a dull Friday morning.. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Anonymous comments will not be published